WHY. This is a great exercise for strengthening all of your abdominals, including your obliques. Oblique abdominals are used for many activities we do during the day, and in many sports. Hip rolls also can release a tight back by stretching that area to the side while using your abdominals.
- Place an exercise mat or towel on the floor.
- Lay down on your back with knees bent and feet on the floor.
- Draw your naval towards your spine to activate your abdominals slightly.
- Bring both knees to one side, keeping your knees together and your feet together. You do not need to get your knees all the way down to the floor, but you can if you have that flexibility.
- Pause, and then bring both knees to the other side.
- Go back and forth with your knees 10 times, breathing normally.
Take both feet off the floor 6-12 inches. Keep them at that height as you drop your knees side to side. You will feel your abdominals working harder with this variation.